This comprehensive collection of over 300 intriguing investigations-- including demonstrations, labs, and other activities-- uses everyday examples to make chemistry concepts easy to understand. It is part of the two-volume PHYSICAL SCIENCE CURRICULUM LIBRARY, which consists of Hands-On Physics Activities With Real-Life Applications and Hands-On Chemistry Activities With Real-Life Applications.
For easy use, all materials are organized into the five units of study listed below with their sections. Each unit offers a variety of lessons designed to provide interaction between students and their world in a way that encourages scientific reasoning.
- MEASUREMENT: Language of Chemistry... Units of Measurement... Measurement
- MATTER Atomic Structure... The Periodic Law... Diffusion and Osmosis... Changes of State... Classification of Matter
- CHEMICAL AND NUCLEAR REACTIONS: Chemical Bonding... Types of Chemical Reactions... Oxidation-Reduction (Redox) Reactions... Electrochemistry... Polymers... Nuclear Chemistry
- THERMODYNAMICS AND KINETICS Thermochemistry... Heat Transfer... Chemical Kinetics... Chemical Equilibrium
- GASES, LIQUIDS, SOLIDS, AND MIXTURES Gases... Colloids and Suspensions... Solutes, Solvents, Solutions... Colligative Properties... Acids and Bases... Acid and Base Reactions... Crystal and Crystallization
Each easy-to-follow lesson format contains a concise introduction using common knowledge examples... reproducible pages for students... a 'To the Teacher' information section... and a separate listing of additional, specific applications that students can relate to.
More than 450 illustration and 100 tables supplement instruction, add interest, and heighten the learning process.
Also included is a handy appendix in reproducible form that contains valuable tables, lists, information on safety, chemical procurement and preparation, and more. And as a special help, each lesson provides complete answer keys and enough detailed explanations to ensure success for even the inexperienced science teacher.
You'll find Hands-On Chemistry Activities can be used to supplement any chemistry textbook or as a stand-alone chemistry program in itself. However you use it, these activities will help you inject new vitality into your curriculum!