Chemistry for WA 1 Units 2A and 2B covers the content for Stage 2, Units 2A and 2B in a sequence for teaching and learning. Each chapter contains core course content, and Applied Chemistry sections that demonstrate how Chemistry is used in various real-life contexts and applications.
* chapter content specifically written to the new Chemistry syllabus
* Applied units are included in chapters to apply student knowledge
* illustrations designed to make teaching and learning easier
* theory broken into manageable chunks
* comprehensive review questions through each chapter
* chapter summary
* chapter review with review questions, including exam-style questions
* review sections with exam-style questions
* Atomic theory
* Ionic compounds
* Covalent molecular substances
* Covalent network substances
* Introducing the mole
* Gases, liquids and solids
* Chemical reactions
* Energy changes in reactions
* Reaction rates
* Chemical reactions revisited
* Acids and bases
* Oxidation and reduction reactions
* Electrolytic cells
* Some chemistry of carbon
* Earth, air, fire and water - some environmental issues
The Student CD accompanying the student book contains:
* an electronic version of the student book giving students the flexibility to use the book on their laptop or PC
* the companion website on CD
* Intel® Pentium® III processor or higher
* Windows® 2000, XP or Vista
* Microsoft® Office 2000, XP or 2007
* 128MB or more of installed RAM (256MB recommended for complex forms or large documents)
* Adobe® Reader® 7 or 8
* G3 or higher
* OS X 10.2-10.4.5
* Microsoft® Office for Mac 2001 or 2004
* 128MB or more of installed RAM
* Adobe® Reader® 7 or 8
The companion website will contain a wealth of support material for students and teachers.
* Review questions: Auto-correcting multiple choice for exam revision.
* Web destinations: A list of reviewed websites that support further investigation.
* Interactive animations to engage students in exploring concepts and key ideas.
* Drag and drop activities to revise key terms and key diagrams.
* Videos to explore chemical concepts in a visually stimulating way.
* Teacher Resource Centre:
Password protected part of the site containing the teacher resources found in the Teacher's Resource Pack.
* Chapter 1: Atomic theory
* Chapter 2: Metals
* Chapter 3: Ionic compounds
* Chapter 4: Covalent molecular substances
* Chapter 5: Covalent network substances
* Chapter 6: Introducing the mole
* Chapter 7: Gases, liquids, solids and solutions
* Chapter 8: Solutions
* Chapter 9: Chemical reactions
* Chapter 10: Energy changes in reactions
* Chapter 11: Reaction rates
* Chapter 12: Overview of chemical reactions
* Chapter 13: Acids and bases
* Chapter 14: Oxidation and reduction reactions
* Chapter 15: Electrolytic cells
* Chapter 16: Organic chemistry
* Chapter 17: Earth, Air, Fire and Water - some environmental issues