Pro ASP.NET 4.0 in VB 2010, Third Edition
ASP.NET 4.0 is the latest version of Microsoft's revolutionary ASP.NET technology. It is the principal standard for creating dynamic web pages on the Windows platform. Pro ASP.NET 4.0 in VB 2010 raises the bar for high-quality, practical advice on learning and deploying Microsoft's dynamic web solution.
This new edition is updated with everything you need to come to grips with the latest version of ASP.NET, including coverage of ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET AJAX 4.0, ASP.NET Dynamic Data, and Silverlight 3.
Seasoned .NET professionals Matthew MacDonald and Mario Szpuszta explain how you can get the most from these groundbreaking new technologies. They cover ASP.NET 4.0 as a whole, illustrating both the brand-new features and the functionality carried over from previous versions of ASP. This book will give you the knowledge you need to code real ASP.NET 4.0 applications in the best possible style.
What you'll learn
* Understand why ASP.NET 4.0 is so special, what its fundamental principles are, the basics of Visual Studio, and how ASP.NET controls are created and how they fit into ASP.NET pages, ultimately creating full applications.
* Become familiar with ASP.NET MVC, a new feature is one of the biggest additions to ASP.NET 4.0, and understand how to use it and integrate it within your existing ASP.NET applications.
* Discover the intricacies of ADO.NET and how to perform data binding to many sources, from databases to file streams to XML.
* Learn the various forms of security available and how to best apply them. Once considered the Achilles' heel of all Windows web applications, security has vastly improved and is now a cornerstone of ASP.NET 4.0.
* Understand how to work with web services, an important skill in an increasingly connected world.
* Use ASP.NET AJAX 4.0, with an emphasis on contemporary web development techniques.
* Perform development using Internet Information Services 7, Microsoft's premier web hosting platform.
About the Apress Pro Series
The Apress Pro series books are practical, professional tutorials to keep you on and moving up the professional ladder.
You have gotten the job, now you need to hone your skills in these tough competitive times. The Apress Pro series expands your skills and expertise in exactly the areas you need. Master the content of a Pro book, and you will always be able to get the job done in a professional development project. Written by experts in their field, Pro series books from Apress give you the hard-won solutions to problems you will face in your professional programming career.
Matthew MacDonald is an author, educator, and MCSD developer who has a passion for emerging technologies. He is a regular writer for developer journals such as Inside Visual Basic, ASPToday, and Hardcore Visual Studio .NET, and he's the author of several books about programming with .NET, including User Interfaces in VB .NET: Windows Forms and Custom Controls, The Book of VB .NET, and .NET Distributed Applications. In a dimly remembered past life, he studied English literature and theoretical physics. Send e-mail to him with praise, condemnation, and everything in between, to email@example.com.
Mario Szpuszta is working in the Developer and Platform Group of Microsoft Austria. Before he started working for Microsoft, Mario was involved in several projects based on COM+ and DCOM with Visual Basic and Visual C++ as well as projects based on Java and J2SE. With Beta 2 of the .NET Framework, he started developing Web applications with ASP.NET. Right now, as developer evangelist for Microsoft Austria, he is doing workshops, trainings, and proof-of-concept projects together with independent software vendors in Austria based on .NET, Web Services, and Office 2003 technologies.
Vidya Vrat Agarwal
Vidya Vrat Agarwal, a Microsoft .NET Purist and an MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCSD.NET, MCAD.NET, and MCSD, works with Lionbridge Technologies (NASDAQ: LIOX), and his business card reads Subject Matter Expert (SME). He is also a lifetime member of the Computer Society of India (CSI). He started working on Microsoft .NET with its beta release. He has been involved in software development, evangelism, consultation, corporate training, and T3 programs on Microsoft .NET for various employers and corporate clients. His articles can be read at http://www.ProgrammersHeaven.com, and he also reviews .NET Preparation Kits, available at http://www.UCertify.com. He has contributed as technical reviewer to many books published by Apress; presently he is authoring another book, Beginning VB 2008 Databases: From Novice to Professional.
He lives with his beloved wife, Rupali, and lovely daughter, Vamika ("Pearly"). He believes that nothing will turn into a reality without them. He is the follower of the concept No Pain, No Gain and believes that his wife is his greatest strength. He is a bibliophile; when he is not working on technical stuff, he likes to be with his family and also likes reading spiritual and occult science books. He blogs at http://dotnetpassion.blogspot.com. You can reach him at Vidyafirstname.lastname@example.org.